Skip to main content

Isolation for COVID-19 in Campus Housing

Here’s what to expect when a student resident tests positive for COVID-19 while living in on-campus housing. 

What to do if you test positive

Please visit the UHS What to Do If You Test Positive page for further information. 

How to get help

Students with COVID who have questions or concerns about their health, and/or think they qualify for Paxlovid, can contact UHS. For severe symptoms (shortness of breath, chest pain or fainting), call 911.

What to do during isolation

If you have COVID-19, you are required to go into “isolation” for at least five days, regardless of vaccination status, in order to limit the spread of infection to others.  Isolate in your room and wear a high quality face covering (double surgical mask, KN95, KF94, or N95, or surgical and cloth “double masking”) at all times. Remain in your room with the door closed as much as possible – and no visitors – during this time. 

The following exceptions are allowed for brief trips and then returning directly to your room:  

  • Use the common bathroom.  If possible, avoid heavy traffic times, and wash hands with soap as soon as you enter.  Always keep your mask on except when brushing your teeth/brief showering. Wipe down any surfaces you have touched with a sani wipe provided.
  • Pick up food at the front of your closest campus dining commons, or outside your residence after food is delivered by an off-campus restaurant or delivery service. Eat in your room away from others, or outdoors.  
  • Use the laundry facilities in your building only when absolutely necessary, and try to avoid peak times.  
  • Sit outside, away from others to get fresh air.  You can go for a walk alone.  Please wear your mask.

You are  not permitted  to: 

  • Go to in-person classes, labs, or workplaces
  • Enter any campus building (excluding your Residence Hall, Apartment Building, or University Health Services, for timely/essential care)
  • Be with others in groups.
  • Attend group events like religious services, outdoor concerts, and other gatherings that bring people together. 
  • Utilize any common areas in your residential building. Including, but not limited to, gyms, recreation facilities, lounges, or kitchens.  
  • Use public transport/rideshare services.

If you are found doing any of the above during your isolation period, this may constitute a violation of the Residential Code of Conduct and Code of Student Conduct. 

What if your roommate tests positive

If your roommate, or other close contact, tests positive and you do not have symptoms, you are not required to quarantine, regardless of your vaccination status.  Instead, get tested 3-5 days later, monitor for symptoms, and wear a facial covering around others. If you become symptomatic, you are required to isolate and get tested.

If your roommate tests positive and you are at high risk of severe disease, you may request a temporary move to another location (such as a hotel room) for the duration of the infectious period. Medically high-risk residents will be provided with accommodations, transportation, meals, and other basic needs at no extra cost. Students at high risk of severe disease can call the isolation Coordinator at (510) 502-2199 to confirm risk and initiate the process of moving to a different location (e.g., a hotel room) for the duration of a roommate’s infectious period.

If you witness a violation of the isolation protocols or the Residential Code of Conduct, you are encouraged to either report this information to your RA or send an email to with identifying information. Residential Life staff will then submit a conduct report on your behalf. Reporting what you witness will help protect your fellow students and our community. We are all in this together. 

What to do if you need Residential Life Staff support

Residential Life Staff Members (Including the Isolation Coordinators) do not provide guidance when it comes to your health status.

Isolation Coordinators will be your primary point of contact for non-medical isolation questions. We encourage you to email any questions or requests to and/or call or send a text to (510) 502-2199. Please note that response times may be slower on evenings and weekends.

If you are in need of in-person staff support, you are required to wear a high-quality face covering (double surgical mask, KN95, KF94, or N95). If you are not wearing one, you must let the staff member know, and they will bring you a face covering.